September 20th Goldmine Meeting
Our Presiding Officer Matthew Charity called the meeting to order and Serena Edwards presented the Thought of the Day. Our Toastmaster Al Minter announced the meeting's theme this week to be "Shoot for the Moon," which was inspired by a quote he gave by Les Brown. "Shoot for the moon, and even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. Next, he introduced our Jokemaster, Sam Mullis. The Grammarian was Sam Mullis as well, the Timer was Phyllis Kombol and our Ah Bell/Ballot Counter was Georgia Carlton.
Jerry Weikle gave our Table Topics, which centered around the theme of shooting for the moon.
- Serena Edwards talked about her first (unexpected) encounter with a movie star's wife, at The Bass Pro Shop at Concord Mills! She may not be of the Celestial Stars, but it was still a cool experience.
- Joyce (our Guest) told us whether she would play it safe or shoot for the stars when playing Roulette. She said why not shoot for the stars, if we're already playing Roulette???
- Matthew Charity told us about what he would do if he shot for the moon, and failed miserably. He would try and try until he succeeded!
- Georgia Carlton decided it would be better for her to choose Caramel Popcorn to take to the moon than Cinnamon Porkskins. She has more of a sweet tooth than a skin tooth.
The Speakers were:
- Joyce Preston, Joyce practiced her Humorous Speech, "It's About Time." She enlightened us on how the world could be improved if only they would add Menopausal Parking in the grocery stores!!! She brought laughter to the audience as she described her Tollhouse Cookie Roads and exit lanes every 500 feet. God bless this sweaty woman!!!
- Gerry Fenner, Gerry's speech was titled "Memory Card Full," which was a speech about her mother, Virginia, also called Ms. Jenny. She told us all how she has been blessed to have the memories that were stored up on her mother's mind (memory card), although she could no longer remember them as she fell to Alzheimer's Disease. She told us her mother's words to her, asking if she was living or was she only existing? Which made us all think about how we are living our own moments.
Best Speaker: Gerry Fenner
Best Table Topics Speaker: Matthew Charity
Best Evaluator: Sonny Tolbert
Order of Business:
- Dues are due for this coming quarter, so if you have your checks, you can either send them into our P.O. Box in Kannapolis, or you can give your checks directly to our Treasurer Thomas Kombol.
- The Division B Humorous Speech and Evaluation Contests will be held on Thursday October 9, 2014 from 6:30 pm until 8:30 PM at Concord Fire station #9 (1020 Ivey Cline Rd near I-85 and Pitts School Road.) So come and support our Division Leaders!
- The Fall 2014 conference will be held at the Embassy Suites in Greensboro from October 31 - November 2, 2014. It will feature the Evaluation and Humorous Speech Contests, and educational sessions. To register, visit the d37toastmasters page.