Serena Edwards, who served as Presiding Officer, called the meeting to order and Georgia Carlton presented the Thought of the Day. Hal Levin, who served as Toastmaster, announced the meeting's theme is "Spring." He introduced Eugene Preston, who provided a joke. The Grammarian was Thomas Kombol, the Timer was Bill Batterman and the Ah Bell/Ballot Counter was Eugene Preston.
Cynthia Randolph led Table Topics, which centered around vociferous (word of the day). The definition of vociferous is expressing feelings or opinions in a very loud or forceful way. This is the first time I have heard the word of the day used as the theme for table topics.
- Serena Edwards struggled with her table topic.
- Joyce Preston shared a story about a loud person in her life.
- Paul Junior shared his perspective on spring time.
- Eugene Preston talked about how loud it can get at his family's dinner table.
The prepared speakers were:
- Sam Mullis' speech was titled "The year without a summer." He provided a historical perspective and spoke about the changing seasons. As always, his speech was well prepared and thoughtfully executed.
- Phyllis Kombol's speech was titled "Excerpts from Martin Luther King Jr." Through reading the excerpts with such energy and passion, she made the audience feel like it was listening to Martin Luther King Jr give the speech himself.
Joyce Preston served as the General Evaluator. Gerry Weikle evaluated Sam Mullis's speech and Serena Edwards evaluated Phyllis Kombol's speech. Everyone except for Serena qualified on time for their table topics. Phyllis qualified on time for her speech and Serena qualified on time for her evaluation. Joyce provided several helpful suggestions during her general meeting evaluation. She asked for written evaluations to be legible with the author's signed name, people to be on time, and people to look up work of the day on monthly calendar. Sam Mullis suggested people to always have back up jokes and thoughts in case someone is late or absent.
Best Table Topics Speaker: Joyce Preston
Best Speaker: Phyllis Kombol
Best Evaluator: Serena Edwards
Order of Business:
- There will be Penny Wars at the Spring District Contest, so bring all the pennies you can find to raise money for our district. If you can't find your pennies, bring any other currency you can find. The contest will be April 12th.
- Be sure to sign up for the next District 37 Contest on their website: https://d37toastmasters.org The contest will be held at the Great Wolf Lodge in Concord from May 2nd-4th. So feel free to bring your family to enjoy one of North Carolina's largest water parks, while you are in the conference.
- Joyce Preston's Parliamentary Procedure 101 will be directly after this meeting from 10:15 - 11:15 am in the Rotary Hall.
- There will be an officer meeting on April 19th
- If you are interested in an officer position next quarter, please contact Serena Edwards.