March 29th Goldmine Meeting
Our Presiding Officer Serena Edwards called the meeting to order and Sam Mullis presented the Thought of the Day. Our Toastmaster Al Minter announced the meeting's theme this week to be "Spring, A New Beginning," which went very well with our prepared speeches. Next, he introduced our Jokemaster, Paul Jr. The Grammarian was Matthew Charity, the Timer was Dana Michelle and our Ah Bell/Ballot Counter was Georgia Carlton.
Hal Levin gave our Table Topics, which centered around the theme, Spring and also New Beginnings, and I would like to say it was also quite comical.
- Phyllis Kombol talked about her camping trip, where she shot a bear in her pajamas.
- Paul Jr. told us about what he would do if he went on a fishing trip with women, and they all caught fish, but he didn't.
- Gerry Fenner's table topic was about a time when she was encouraged to succeed.
The Speakers were:
- Joyce Preston, Joyce was working on Project 5, Accepting an Award. She dedicated the project to her Distinguished Toastmaster Award. Her speech was titled "Mrs. DTM," and was a 5-7 minute speech. In this speech, she entertained her audience by telling stories of the people that she was thankful for, and how each of those people helped her become a better person and toastmaster. She also spoke of her growth since the beginning of her career at Goldmine.
- Eugene Preston's speech was titled "Turbulence," and it was from his firth project in the CC manual, Your Body Speaks. He told us about times in his life that he related to the turbulence of a rough flight, and picking himself back up after difficult times.
- Serena Edwards, Serena's speech was titled "Are You a Warrior or a Worrier?" It was a very motivating and strengthening speech. The message she left her audience was to find our strength within, and become the warriors that we can all be, and leave the worry behind, because we can't control the world.
Best Speaker: Eugene Preston
Best Table Topics Speaker: Phyllis Kombol
Best Evaluator: Cynthia Randolph
Order of Business:
- There will be Penny Wars at the Spring District Contest, so bring all the pennies you can find to raise money for our district. If you can't find your pennies, bring any other currency you can find. The contest will be April 12th.
- Be sure to sign up for the next District 37 Contest on their website: https://d37toastmasters.org The contest will be held at the Great Wolf Lodge in Concord from May 2nd-4th. So feel free to bring your family to enjoy one of North Carolina's largest water parks, while you are in the conference.
- Dues are due for the next quarter, so please send them to our club P.O. Box or hand them directly to our Treasurer, Thomas Kombol at our next meeting. If you are wondering, dues are $60.00/quarter.
- Joyce Preston's Parliamentary Procedure 101 is coming up on April 5th, from 10:15 - 11:15 am in the Rotary Hall. If you are interested in attending, please R.S.V.P. with Joyce through e-mail.
- There will be an officer meeting on April 19th
- If you are interested in an officer position next quarter, please contact Serena Edwards.