February 1st, 2014 Goldmine Meeting
Our Presiding Officer Serena Edwards called the meeting to order and Sonny Tolbert presented the Thought of the Day. Our Toastmaster Shyam Narayan announced the meeting's theme this week to be the Super Bowl, in honor of an unfortunate end to a fabulous football season, then introduced our Jokemaster, Jessica Keys. The Grammarian was Eugene Preston, the Timer was Ankur Srivastava and our Ah Bell/Ballot Counter was Matthew Charity.
Serena Edwards gave our Table Topics, which was in the theme of Superbowl Commercials. Each table topic contestant had to draw an object from a bag, and make a commercial about it.
- Thomas Kombol pulled M&M's from the bag. Making the audience laugh, he spoke of the durability of an M&M throughout history.
- Sam Mullis pulled a Pepsi can out of the bag with a Bud Light sticker attached to one half of it.
- Georgia Carlton pulled a bag of Dorito's out of the bag.
- Sonny Tolbert temporarily held a Bass Pro Shop Visa card, that he pulled out of the bag.
The Speakers were:
- Joyce Preston, completed her project "Bringing a Story to Life." Her 7-9 minute speech was titled "Beware," the story of Julius Caesar and the Ides of March.
- Ray Atkinson did a 7-9 minute trial mock interview with Jessica Keys for his speech.
- Mike Hall gave a 6-8 minute, visually interactive speech titled "Getting Started with Kiting." He brought in his examples, and told us a bit about each one, also giving us tips on our next flight attempt.
All evaluators and prepared speakers qualified on time.
Best Speaker: Joyce Preston
Best Table Topics Speaker: Sam Mullis
Best Evaluator: Cynthia Randolph
Meeting Ended at 10:10 a.m.