Goldmine Meeting --- Saturday, October 19th, 2013
Our Toastmaster Sonny Tolbert declared this week's theme "Whatever Here at Goldmine".
Our Presiding Officer Serena Edwards called the meeting to order and Karen Boothe presented the Thought of the Day. Our Toastmaster (TMOD), Sonny Tolbert announced the program changes, then Mike Hall gave the joke. The Grammarian was Georgia Carlton, the Timer was Gerry Fenner, and our Ah Bell/Ballot Counter was Jay Johnson.
Eugene Preston gave our Table Topics, with creative questions making our participants really think about the creative moments of our lives.
- Georgia Carlton told everyone at Goldmine about the strangest fads she has followed. It ranged from favorite colors to strange pants.
- Serena Edwards gave her table topic on distractions.
- Jessica Keys told us all what creativity means to her.
- Our Guest this week, Genn, was willing to participate with us for her first time at Toastmasters. She gave her table topic on the most interesting thing she has done with her left hand.
- Joyce Preston, who prepared her speech on Evaluation Contest introductions. Her speech was well executed, and was 6-8 minutes long.
- Sam Mullis named his speech "16 Tons" after the song by Tennessee Ernie Ford. He spoke about hard work, coal miners, and child labor, and how the ballad spoke to his soul and culture.
- Jessica Keys gave her speech about the importance of irresponsibility in our lives. This fun speech guided us through the 3 main reasons it matters, and gave us all passes at the end to take a moment of irresponsibility some time.
Thomas Kombol served as our General Evaluator, and introduced our evaluators. Serena Edwards evaluated Joyce Preston. Dale Wagstaff evaluated Sam Mullis, and John Shepherd evaluated Jessica Keys.
All evaluators and prepared speakers qualified on time.
Best Speaker: Sam Mullis
Best Table Topics Speaker: Jessica Keys
Best Evaluator: Dale Wagstaff
"Ah" Stick: Serena Edwards
Order of Business:
The District 37 Fall Conference will be held this coming weekend in Cary North Carolina. Registration will be staffed and ready at 3:00 PM on Friday October 25 where you can check in and receive conference materials. The opening ceremony will begin at 5:00 PM. The conference will run from October 25-27th