With a theme of winter, Phyllis Kombol, our presiding officer and Toastmaster for the day, shared why she believes her move from New Hampton, Iowa to the Concord/Kannapolis area of North Carolina was a good one. An average of two inches of snow here versus 55 inches in her home town had a lot to do with it.
While our Goldmine meetings are filled with heartwarming laughter, each is unique just like snowflakes. Once the meeting was called to order, Bill Battermann provided an impromptu Thought for the Day. Experiencing something versus having an experience are two very different things. Experiencing is passive while having an experience is actually shaping what happens. His thought perfectly fits the Goldmine Toastmasters – intentionally Speak, Lead , Succeed. Thereafter, Matthew’s joke evoked laughter which drove away any winter blues that may have been in the air.
Richard facilitated Table Topics by asking each responder to explain an old expression:
· Bill “There’s nothing to fear, but fear itself,”
· Jerry “You’re preaching to the choir,”
· Al “The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step,”
· Steve “He who hesitates is last,” and
· Dale “He doesn’t have a clue.”
Phyllis, our Toastmaster, introduced the following individuals who delivered prepared speeches:
· Gerry “Promises, Promises, Promises (CC Manual, Speech #1)
· Hal “Live Stronger” (CC Manual, Speech #2)
· Cynthia “Please Help My Child & Others Like Her” (CC Manual, Speech #9)
Alex filled the role of General Evaluator and called on the following individuals to complete evaluations:
· Joyce evaluated Gerry
· Matthew evaluated Hal
· Thomas evaluated Cynthia
Best Table Topics Speaker: Jerry Weikle
Best Prepared Speaker: Cynthia Randolph
Best Evaluator: Thomas Kombol
Ah Stick: Bill Battermann
· Speech Contests, Club - March 16 – See Thomas Kombol; Area – April 18; Division May 4, Division May 17-18
· Speak, the movie will be shown March 7th, Ebenezer Baptist Church. See the District 37 Website for details.
· Next week we’ll induct new members: Gerry, Dale & Barb