Mike Hall led today's meeting as Toastmaster of the day with the them of "Firsts." Phyllis called the meeting to order as Presiding Officer. No guests attended today but we welcomed our newest member, Sharon Davis.
Richard Archer shared a thought and Jessica a joke. Serena took over Wordmaster/Grammarian, listening for the word of the day: "verity." Jerry Weikle rang the bell and counted the ballots as Ah Bell/Ballot Counter. Phyllis Kombol operated the stopwatch as our Timer.
Cynthia Randolph shared some Zig Ziglar quotes as the Table Topics Master. The first Table Topics Speaker was Sonny who shared his thoughts on something good that happened as a result of something bad. His answer was a new car from a car accident. Serena shared her thoughts on "There are no traffic jams on the extra mile" though she did not agree with that statement. Jerry talked about the quote, "A goal properly set is halfway reached."
Our prepared speakers of the day were:
- Karen Boothe (#7, CC) - "Keep That Thing Away From Me."
- Jessica Keyes (#4, CC) - "The Power of P."
- Joyce Preston (Storytelling Manual) - "Better a Crowded Home Than a Lonely Mansion."
Sonny Tolbert took the role of General Evaluator. Matthew Charity evaluated Karen's speech. Sharon Davis took on evaluating Jessica's speech and Al Minter evaluated Joyce's speech.
Best Table Topics: Sonny Tolbert
Best Speaker: Joyce Preston
Best Evaluator: Matthew Charity
Ah Stick: Mike Hall AND Karen Boothe
During the business session, Sonny explained his role as Treasurer, which includes:
- Submit new member applications and dues to Toastmasters International.
- Pay bills as due.
- Keep records of all financial transactions.
- Present verbal and written financial reports quarterly.
- Receive completed new member applications and dues.
- Announce when dues are due and explain dues structure.
Serena also explained her role as Vice President of Education:
- Scheduler: Oversees the creation of the club's schedule and ensures all meeting roles are fulfilled. Email the meeting schedule regularly.
- Education Awards Expert: Help members complete education awards. Verify, sign and date manual projects as members complete them and submit award applications to Toastmasters International.
- Speech Contests Expert: Plan club contests during the term of office.
- Mentor Program Supervisor: Assign every new member a mentor and keep track of who is mentoring whom. Give mentors credit in their Competent Leadership manual. Phyllis is heading up the mentor committee.
Next week's Toastmaster: Cynthia Randolph. Confirm your roles or sign up for one!