Phyllis Kombol, our presiding officer, opened the meeting and Karen Boothe delivered our Thought of the Day and Pledge of Allegiance. Joyce Preston, our Jokemaster, had us all in stitches with her dead duck joke. Jessica relayed our Word of the Day, “Opulent” and explained her role followed by Thomas who provided numerous real time examples of instances when he would ring the “Ah” Bell (assisted by Georgia).
Lastly, John drew a reaction from everyone, similar to a child watching the “funnies,” as he explained the time parameters for Table Topics and prepared Speeches, and gave Serena 30 minutes less the 12 minutes she communicated for her speech to qualify. I think he was speaking in Toon Time!!!!!
Jerry served as Table Topics Master and asked the following:
1. What politician does Elmer Fudd remind you of? Sonny responded “all of them!” They all are trying to do something, shoot something, hit something however they can’t tell you what it is!
2. If you work at Disney World and have the job to wear a costume and interface with customers, would you prefer to be Minnie or Mickey Mouse? Kathy said she would not want to be either because the heads of the costumes is so large, would throw her off balance and cause her to sweat profusely.
3. If you are Popeye, and Olive Oil is in trouble; and you have no Spinach to eat, what would you do? Bryan said he’d probably go to the store and buy a 5 Hour Energy Drink.
4. Who was smarter - George or Jane Jetson? Georgia was not familiar with the characters because the cartoon was before her time so she talked about other characters she likes better.
Table Topics Winner: Kathy Kombol
We had two prepared speeches:
1. Serena – “The Journey of Desire” from the Advanced Manual, “Specialty Speeches,” #4 Read Out Loud.
2. Mike – “I Don’t Have a Speech”
Best Speaker: Serena Edwards
Evaluators were Kathy Kombol and Bryan Walsh respectively.
Best Evaluator: Bryan Walsh
AH Stick: Mike Hall
Club Updates: Our Club Contest will be during a regular meeting. More information to come. There will be an Improv Meeting on Sept. 22.
The meeting ended at 9:57 am. That’s All Folks!
Minutes prepared by Cynthia Randolph, Jerry Weikle and Serena Edwards