"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living." -- Jose N. Harris, "A Story of Faith, Hope and Love"
Serena introduced the Toastmaster of the Day, Phyllis Kombol who led the meeting with gusto and grace. Sonny Tolbert started us off with a joke about a carberator trouble in the lake (guess you had to be there!). Mike held the time wand, apparently waving it to make everyone go over in time! No, it really wasn't Mike's fault.
Al Minter dinged the "Ah" bell and counted the ballots for our disqualified speakers and evaluators, while Kim Jackson listened for grammar (good and bad) and the word of the day, "acrimonious," as our Wordmaster.
Karen Boothe, while having some random conversation with her husband, thought of some interesting and creative Table Topics.
- She asked Jessica Keyes "This is the 30th anniversary of E.T. Where were you when E.T. came out?" Jessica believed she may have been playing with a toy when E.T. first hit theaters.
- Steve Boles, as dramatic as possible, answered the question, "Why do clowns wear makeup?" His thought is it's their disguise because no one wants to laugh at some goofy guy NOT wearing clown makeup!
- Sonny Tolbert gave his answer to "What are some uses for WD-40?" He oils his joints and his rusty tools. Who knew?
- And the best question of all time came to Lee Johnston: "Why is the sky blue?" Two words: "Why not?"
Joyce Preston shared her speech, "Rescue a Dog and Get a Devoted Friend," from the Advanced manual, "Specialty Speeches," "Sell a Product." Speaking time 8-10 minutes. Actual time: 10:56.
Matthew Charity enjoyed evaluating Alex (time: 3:42)
Cynthia Randolph gave a glowing evaluation of Joyce (time: 3:33)
Jerry Weikle evaluated the meeting as General Evaluator and Kim Jackson gave her Wordmaster report, reporting many uses of the word of the day and finding out the meaning of Alex's word "peccadillo" - a very minor or slight sin or offense."
- We voted on the Communicator and Leadership Award for nominee, David Goforth. He will receive this award at our annual Awards Banquet on July 21 at Union St. Bistro (where our upcoming officers will also be commissioned).
- We have completed 9 out of 10 goals to become President's Distinguished yet again!
- Tall Tales Contest is on July 14 at Baker's Creek Park in Kannapolis. Need more speakers, ballot counters, judges, etc. Contact Phyllis if you are interested.
- District 37 camping trip is July 30.
- Reviewed next week's schedule. Next week's Toastmaster is Alex Porter.
Best Table Topics: Jessica Keyes
Best Speaker: Alex Porter
Best Evaluator: Cynthia Randolph
"Ah" Stick: Cynthia Randolph
**If you are interested in helping out with the blog once a month, please contact Serena or Joyce! We need more helpers!