Members in attendance: Joyce, Presiding Officer and Toastmaster of the Day.
Thought of the Day: Our newest member, Karen Boothe, who shared a poignant Thought: "To everything there is a season...a time to be born, and a time to die...a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance."
Shyam, as Jokemaster, shared his son's favorite "Jay Joke" out of Jay's book.
John Shepherd: Grammarian (word of the day: neophyte - which was said quite a bit!)
Timer: Betty and Ah Bell/Ballot Counter: Phyllis
General Evaluator: Jerry
Other members in attendance: Serena and Jay Johnson. Special Guests: Logan Burchette and Kemp Edwards (Serena's "boyfriend" - yes, Joyce, he's a real, live person!)
Table Topics Master: Richard Archer gave out some interesting sentences as table topics:
- Serena Haneline finished the sentence: "I opened my door and was surprised to see..." Rudolph standing at her door. But lo, and behold, it wasn't Rudolph, after all. It was her boyfriend dressed up like Rudolph!
- Jay Johnson's sentence was: "The Highway Patrol pulled up in my driveway because..." an alligator was in his backyard! (This is in his home in Florida, where the alligators play).
- Betty Walker finished the sentence, "For the umpteenth time, I screamed, 'Where did you put my...?'" sleigh, screamed Richard Archer! Always losing that sleigh!
Our speakers for the day shared some humorous stories, befitting the spirit of Jay Nodine. Sonny spoke on "Reindeer Food" and we learned that Rudolph's father was Donner. Who knew? And Kim Jackson talked about "Looking for Gifts in All the Wrong Places." The most meaningful gifts this Christmas are not the ones we put under the tree; it's the ones we find in the most unexpected places. You may be entertaining angels unaware!
Rajesh, first time evaluator, evaluated Sonny's speech, doing a terrific job! Insook evaluated Kim Jackson, also doing a fantastic job.
Best Speaker: Sonny Tolbert (Kim's speech was disqualified for going over time!)
Best Evaluator: Insook Lee
Ah Stick Winner: Kim Jackson
- Jay's funeral at Parkwood Baptist Church, 2 p.m.
- Visit Jay's Caring Bridge Website and leave a comment at: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/JayNodine
- We are collecting donations to go toward Jay's church (Parkwood Baptist) this week and next.
- Reminder: Dues are DUE by Dec. 30 ($60 per quarter)
- Reviewed next week's schedule. Toastmaster is Betty Walker. Please confirm your roles with Betty this week!