Phyllis stepped in as presiding officer to open up our meeting, while John Shepherd did an outstanding job as our Toastmaster for the Day, giving us great facts about Thanksgiving! Sonny shared this thought for the day: "Some people cause happiness wherever they go; and some people cause happiness whenever they go."
Sonny also stood in as our Table Topics Master, centering his questions mostly around names and Alex Porter. Speaking of Alex, he took the first table topic question, "If you could change your name, what would it be and why?" Alex decided he liked his name, then told us of his Uncle Dimple, who changed his name to his middle name (for obvious reasons).
Insook Lee answered the next question: "What name should Alex have instead of his own?" Insook "stole" Sonny's example, "Rice" to say that that name is a good multi-cultural name and would fit Alex well. So from now on, we'll call him "Rice Porter." Our guest (Phyllis' sis, Linda Schmickle) answered the question, "What has your best vacation been?" She said Hilton Head, where her and her sis used to go, but haven't been in awhile. Insook took home the Best Table Topic award.
Our speaker line up on this fabulous day, included Jessica Keyes, whose hilarious "technical" speech "Elf Training 101" had us all in stitches and watching for reindeer poo. Also, Serena Haneline finished her 10th speech in the Competent Communicator Manual titled, "Finding Courage in the Face of Fear." Her inspiring and soul-stirring speech earned her the Best Speaker Award.
The Best Evaluator award went to Betty Walker after she evaluated Serena Haneline so eloquently. Alex (er, I mean Rice) Porter also did a fine job evaluating Jessica Keyes.
Other roles today included Timer: Phyllis (who kept us all on time), Ah Bell/Ballot Counter: Rajesh Gopalakrishna (first time Ballot Counter and did a great job), Jokemaster: Betty Walker (always one to make us laugh), Grammarian: Steve Boles (whose word of the day, "faze," had people so fazed, they forgot to use it!), and last but not least, General Evaluator: Mike Hall (first time as General Evaluator and did a FAB job!)
- Reminder to go visit Jay in the hospital (or call or pray or send a card...something!)
- Reminder of Matthew's leadership program for youth coming up in December
- Hinds Feet Farm program on Dec. 14 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. for those interested. Contact Jessica Keyes.
- Dues are due last of December/first of January ($60)
- Phyllis went over our Distinguished Club goals (need more members...hint, hint).
- Jessica made a great suggestion: make copies of Competent Leader list and fill them out as you fill roles (can be working on two Competent Leaders per year)
- Reviewed next week's meeting. Toastmaster will be Richard Archer. Please check the schedule and confirm your roles with Richard this week!