Our Presiding Officer today was the illustrious Joyce Preston. Insook Lee took over as Toastmaster and did a wonderful job!)
- Grammarian: Mike Hall (first time in this role, I think? He did a great job, even though he (barely) beat Jay Nodine out of the "Uh" Stick Award!
- Timer: Jerry Weikle
- Ah Bell/Ballot Counter: Serena Haneline
- Thought of the Day: Bill Batterman (delivered a serious thought on not being content to just give charity to the poor, but be willing to help to end poverty.
- Jokemaster: Richard Archer (great joke: "I don't have no crayons")
Table Topics Theme: Phyllis kids going back to college
- Table Topics Speaker 1: Kim Jackson: Spoke for 1:54 on the last time she moved (which was to Concord, NC and waiting on her luggage that was on the other side of the planet)
- Table Topics Speaker 2: Lee Johnston: Spoke for 1:34 on what Phyllis' college-aged kids are doing in their rooms (when he was that age, he was milking cows)
- Table Topics Speaker 3: Betty Walker: Talked for 1:30 on what she would do if she worked in a Halloween store
- Table Topics Speaker 4: Jay Nodine: Talked for 1:21 on what Phyllis' kids learn in college that she can't teach them (it was an eloquent minute and 20 on Jay as a kid not being allowed to open the basement door (lo and behold, he was IN the basement, go figure).
- Speaker 1: Alex Porter (Title: "A Blast from the Past" in AC Storytelling, Project #2). Great story-telling about a cannon breaking windows in the back alley of a pharmacy in downtown Concord 40+ years ago! Shhh, it's still a secret!
- Speaker 2: Sonny Tolbert (Title: "Fear and Greed" in AC #3). Shared about the stock market; the fear and greed that drives it both up and down and what we can do when it plummets.
- Speaker 3: Joyce Preston (Title: "You're Killing Me" in AC Speaking to Inform #2). Joyce shared from her experience the dangers of food-borne bacteria and ways we can be safe when we cook.
BEST SPEAKER AWARD: Sonny Tolbert (even if it was by default!)
General Evaluator: John Shepherd
- Evaluator 1: Jessica Keyes evaluated Alex Porter (time: 3:20)
- Evaluator 2: Brian Woolf evaluated Sonny Tolbert (time: 2:55)
- Evaluator 3: Tony Hinson evaluated Joyce Preston (time: 3:12)
It was great to have guests, Tim Edwards, our new Area 24 Governor, and Curtis Treece from People Growing Together Toastmasters in Salisbury. Curtis gathered some tips to take back to his Toastmaster group. Tim gave a plug for the annual District 37 camping trip.
- Tim Edwards announced that Sonny Tolbert will be the chairman of the Area Council (which is a "meeting of the minds" in which area presidents and VPs of education attend. Other officers are welcome to attend.)
- Jay Nodine handed out a Financial Report and made a motion to increase the Goldmine dues to $60/quarter and the new member dues to $20 educational material fee plus $60 member fee (TM International has raised yearly dues and the hotel costs have risen). The motion was seconded by Brian Woolf and was passed by a unanimous vote.
- Jay would like for those members who can to pay their dues early (before October 1).
- Joyce announced the rebranding of Toastmasters International (new logo, new color scheme, new marketing/advertising plans, etc.) The rebrand will go public on August 17 at the national convention.
- Jessica Keyes announced she has inventory from the Toastmasters bookstore that has the old logo that she needs to sell.
- An officer's meeting was held after the meeting, in which Tim Edwards attended.